Value investors have generally done well recently while many growth stocks have languished. In this paper, we look at some of the drivers behind recent market moves, including the effect of rising interest rates, earnings disappointments and the subsequent de-rating of growth stocks.
- Conditions in 2017 normalised after a ‘perfect storm’ in 2016.
- Active growth managers focused on so-called high quality stocks typically fared the worst.
- Downtrodden valuations provided a good entry point into high quality, high growth companies.
- Academic studies and our own analysis suggests that the benefits to growth and quality stocks are longer term in nature.
- The outlook for 2018 demonstrates the importance of sticking to a philosophy and process through the difficult times.
(Click on the cover page image for the full document).
Sponsor White Papers (click here to see all previous papers)
Wikipedia defines a White Paper as “an authoritative report or guide informing in a concise manner about a complex issue and presenting the issuing body’s philosophy on the matter. It is meant to help readers understand an issue, solve a problem, or make a decision.”