SMSF Retirement Insights: SMSFs treading water, September 2017.
A check up on the financial health of SMSF trustees heading into retirement.
- Despite small gains in balances, investment returns will be lower for longer and many SMSFs are further away from achieving their retirement goals than previously.
- The amount needed for a 65-year-old couple to afford a comfortable retirement (as defined by ASFA) has increased by 17% from $702,000 to $824,000.
- 66% of 65-year-old SMSF couples can be confident of affording a comfortable retirement, down 4% on our results from last year.
- 28% of 65-year-old SMSF couples can afford to spend $100,000 a year, which slightly up on last year.
- More than half of SMSF retirees cannot be reasonably confident (80% probability) of achieving their desired lifestyle in retirement while around one quarter can be very confident (95%).
- One in four are actually unlikely (less than 50% chance) to achieve their goals.
(Click on the cover page image for the full document).
Sponsor White Papers (click here to see all previous papers)
Wikipedia defines a White Paper as “an authoritative report or guide informing in a concise manner about a complex issue and presenting the issuing body’s philosophy on the matter. It is meant to help readers understand an issue, solve a problem, or make a decision.”