Each day, we respond to problems quickly, automatically and often gullibly, giving undue attention to details that stand out easily. Critical information is often ignored. The best investors are those who can hear through the noise.
Author Archive | Graham Hand
Author Michael Lewis takes three minutes to give his advice on money management.
* SMSF annual returns are due by 15 May 2013. The Taxation Office is issuing warnings on the consequences of late lodgement.
* The National Disability Insurance Scheme Bill passed both houses of Parliament on 21 March 2013 with the first $1 billion in funding.
* APRA has told deposit-takers they must implement a Single Customer View regime before 1 January 2014, to prevent multiple coverage under the government guarantee.
* Long overdue legislation has tabled in Parliament restricting use of ‘financial planner’ to fully licensed and authorised practitioners.
Funny and useful TED talk, “The happy secret to better work” by Shawn Achor.
* A CoreData White Paper suggests the majority of financial planners believe FoFA will have a negative impact on them and their business.
* ASIC’s reverse mortgage calculator shows the remaining home equity under different rate and longevity scenarios.
* According to Morningstar, Australian share funds experienced net outflows of almost $10 billion in 2012, at exactly the wrong time for the subsequent rally.
Amid the bucket loads of optimism and faith, just as you want to rush out of the room and buy some gold bullion or gold shares, along comes somebody to spoil the party.
* With our close focus on cash rates, it’s easy to overlook longer term rates rising. Rates are up about 0.6% since June 2012, creating capital losses on long duration portfolios.
Excellent explanation of wealth inequality in America. Massive viral hit, viewed over three million times.
How well must the market perform for a geared portfolio to deliver better returns than a normal, ungeared portfolio? Or put another way, if the market index rises or falls 10%, how much will a geared strategy change in value?